Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Lace Scarf

Rather than start off my to-do list with an easy project like socks, or a straight forward one like the sweater, OR the one I'm already half done like the hat, I decided to try and tackle the lace scarf.

I knew that this scarf was going to cause problems, because I'm not always the best at counting patterns and paying attention all the time. I did not expect, however, to be on attempt #7.

Attempt #1 was just bad. Rather than try to work out the pattern first, I just jumped in head first and just knit. Then I got to the one row that has pattern, and it was a total disaster. I ended up losing stitches, and the pattern, and then had to frog it all completely.

Attempt #2 went the exact same way.

Between attempt #2 and #3, I realized that I should just sit down and knit one repeat of the pattern over and over, so that I wasn't wasting my time setting up and having to rip out a scarf-wide section. So with less than half the stitches, I spent hours just trying to get my brain to remember the pattern. Finall, I got it to work out.

I'm not going to detail attempts 3 to 6, other than to say that the pattern could have been written in a much easier way that would have saved my brain so much effort, and my hands so much re-knitting.

Here is the pattern I'm working from, in case anyone is interested or wants to try and guess where I screwed up repeatedly. (If it seems totally obvious, I blame the head injuries)

Things are going much better now though, I shall post pictures tomorrow-ish.

No comments: